Trust the process. If you're a Philadelphia 76ers fan, chances are you have heard this phrase.
My name is Leslie Silva. Instead of building a basketball team, my job as Career Counselor is to help you build your career as a Temple Engineering student. This process depends on you, and it's also what this new blog is about: helping you prepare to become a successful student and professional.
With the new semester starting, start to think about where you want to be on graduation day. Set a goal. Act. We can only help you if you come in to see us. In the meantime, each month I will share tips and resources on this blog.
A few things to get on your radar:
- You can schedule an appointment with me, Michael Madera or a career coach at the Career Center through Handshake. We also take drop-ins Tuesday mornings from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and Friday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 pm. Come in and create an action plan so that you can reach your goal!
- Unsure of how to start your job search? Come to a workshop on Wednesday, September 4 from 12:00 to 1:00 pm in the new second-floor IDEAS Hub.
- The Career Fair is on Thursday, October 3 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in Student Center Room 200. Want an internship? Go! Looking for a full-time job after graduation? Go! Want to start building your network and getting practice engaging with employers? Go!
- I will be hosting a Career Fair Prep on September 25 from 12:00 to 1:00 pm in Room 301A.
- Want to start working on your resume in preparation for the fair? There is a new Career Services section under the Advising tab on TU Portal, which will be available soon. There, we'll have the resources like good (and not so good) resume samples and templates to help you through the process.
Use these samples to write your first resume or to update your current one. Then schedule an appointment with Mike or myself to review it.
You will miss every shot you do not take. Engage with the process. Welcome back Owls!