Wednesday: 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Thursday: 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Dr. Ruth Ochia is an Associate Professor of Instruction in Bioengineering at Temple University and a visiting professor in Orthopedic Surgery at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Ochia’s area of expertise involves the biomechanics of human injury, with special emphasis on the areas of spine trauma and degeneration, and occupant kinematics in automobile collisions. Dr. Ochia has also performed research in degenerative disc disease and low back pain. She has extensive experience in bioengineering, primarily focusing on spine-related injuries and degeneration. Her skills include in vitro biomechanical testing in human and animal specimens, in vivo imaging, and analysis in humans and project management of large-scale government research grants.
- B.S. in Biomedical Engineering from The Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering from University of Washington
- Principal Engineer and Owner, RSO Consulting, LLC, Drexel Hill, PA
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering Departments at Widener University, Chester, PA
- Senior Associate, Biomechanics Practive, Exponent, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
- Yoshihisa O, An H, Ochia R, Andersson G, Espinoza A, Inoue N. In vivo measurement of lumbar facet joint area in asymptomatic and chronic low back pain subjects. Spine 2010; 35(8): 924-928.
- Ochia R, Inoue N, Takatori R, Andersson G, An H. In vivo 3D segmental motion measurement in the lumbar spine in asymptomatic and chronic low back pain subjects. Spine 2007; 32(13):1394–1399.
- Ochia R, Cavanagh P. The reliability of surface EMG measured over a twelve-hour duration. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 2007; 17(3):365–371.
- Ochia R, Ching, R. Rate dependence of hydraulic resistance in human lumbar vertebral bodies. Spine 2006; 31(22):2569–2574.
- Ochia R, Inoue N, Renner S, Lorenz E, Lim T, Andersson G, An H. Three-dimensional in vivo measurement of lumbar spine segmental motion. Spine 2006; 31(18):2073–2078.
- Spine biomechanics