Dr. Hutapea is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He has more than fifteen years of experience in research and development of composite and smart materials for microelectronics/optoelectronics, biomedical, and energy applications. He has received funding from private, state, and federal agencies. Currently, he is receiving funding from the Department of Defense (DOD) CDMRP PCRP to develop a smart needle, and from DOD DURIP to establish an SEM core facility. Dr. Hutapea is the Director of the Composites Laboratory and the Nano Instrumentation Center.
- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2000
- M.S. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1997
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1995
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University, 2010-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University, 2004-2010
- Research Scientific Staff, Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2005-present
- F. O. M. Joseph, M. Kumar, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu, A. Dicker, T. K. Podder, “Effects of Tissue Interference On Electromagnetic Sensor and Ultrasound Imaging Sensing for Robot-Guided Needle Interventions,” Medical Physics, June 2015, doi: 10.1118/1.4925550.
- B. Konh, M. Honarvar, P. Hutapea, “Design Optimization Study of a Shape Memory Alloy Active Needle for Biomedical Applications,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 469-477, 2015.
- B. Konh, N. V. Datla, P. Hutapea, “Feasibility of SMA Wire Actuation for an Active Steerable Cannula,” Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 9, No. 3, 021002-021002-11, 2015.
- N. V. Datla, P. Hutapea, “Flexure-based Active Needle for Steering Within Soft Tissue,” Journal of Medical Devices, June 2015, doi:10.1115/1.4030654.
- M. Honarvar, B. Konh, T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea, “X-ray Diffraction Investigations of Shape Memory NiTi Wire,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, June 2015, doi: 10.1007/s11665-015-1574-2.
- F. M. Orlando, M. Kumar, K. Franz, B. Konh, P. Hutapea, Y. Zhao, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, T. K. Podder, “Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Flexible Needle using Multimodal Sensory Feedbacks,” Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 428-434, 2015.
- M. Honarvar, N. V. Datla, B. Konh, T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea, “Study of Unrecovered Strain and Critical Stresses in One-Way Shape Memory Nitinol,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 2885-2893, 2014.
- N. V. Datla, B. Konh, M. Honarvar, T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea, “A Model to Predict Deflection of Bevel-Tipped Active Needle Advancing in Soft Tissue,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 285 - 293, 2014.
- Mechanics of Composite and Smart Materials
- PEM Fuel Cells
- Department of Defense
- National Science Foundation
- Nanotechnology Institute
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection