Dr. Hutapea is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He has more than fifteen years of experience in research and development of composite and smart materials for microelectronics/optoelectronics, biomedical, and energy applications. He has received funding from private, state, and federal agencies. Currently, he is receiving funding from the Department of Defense (DOD) CDMRP PCRP to develop a smart needle, and from DOD DURIP to establish an SEM core facility. Dr. Hutapea is the Director of the Composites Laboratory and the Nano Instrumentation Center.
- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2000
- M.S. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1997
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1995
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University, 2010-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University, 2004-2010
- Research Scientific Staff, Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2005-present
- B. Konh, N. V. Datla, P. Hutapea. Feasibility of SMA Wire Actuation for an Active Steerable Cannula: Journal of Medical Devices, in press, 2014.
- M. Honarvar, N. V. Datla, B. Konh, T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea. Study of Unrecovered Strain and Critical Stresses in One-Way Shape Memory Nitinol: Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 23(8), pp. 2885-2893, 2014.
- N. V. Datla, B. Konh, M. Honarvar, T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea. A Model to Predict Deflection of Bevel-Tipped Active Needle Advancing in Soft Tissue: Medical Engineering and Physics, 36, pp. 285 - 293, 2014.
- N. V. Datla, J. Koo, D. Choi, B. Kohn, T. M. Nguyen, T. K. Podder, K. Darvish, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, P. Hutapea. Polyacrylamide Phantom for Needle-Tissue Interaction Studies with Active Needles: Medical Engineering and Physics, 36, pp. 140 – 145, 2014.
- T. K. Podder, A. P. Dicker, Y. Yu, K. Darvish, P. Hutapea, A Novel Curvilinear Approach for Prostate Seed Implant: Medical Physics, 39(4), pp. 1887-1892, 2012.
- Mechanics of Composite and Smart Materials
- PEM Fuel Cells
- Department of Defense
- National Science Foundation
- Nanotechnology Institute
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection