Geotechnical engineer with seven years of research experience in p-wave based nondestructive imaging systems, instrumentation and sensor technology, data acquisition, laboratory scale models, and numerical methods. Research interests are related to geophysical techniques, deep foundation nondestructive evaluation and rehabilitation, and geotechnical earthquake engineering, particularly as related to sustainable infrastructure systems. Educational interests focus on geotechnical engineering coursework overlaid with improving student cognitive development and critical thinking skills.
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, 2010
- M.S. Civil Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, 2006
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Geology Minor, University of California Los Angeles, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Temple University, 2012 – Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, The Citadel – The Military College of South Carolina, 2010 – 2012
- Coe, J.T., Kermani, B., Nyquist, J.E., and Sybrandy, L. (Accepted for Publication). "Use of P-wave Reflection Imaging and Other Nondestructive Testing Technqiues to Evaluate Unknown Bridge Foundations." Proceedings ASCE Geo-Congress 2014, Atlanta, GA.
- Coe, J. T. and Brandenberg, S. J. (2012). “CPT-Based Ultrasonic Probe for P-wave Reflection Imaging of Embedded Objects.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 17(6), pp. 940-950.
- Coe, J. T. and Brandenberg, S. J. (2011). “P-wave Reflection Imaging of a Cast-in-Steel-Shell Bridge Foundation.” Proceedings ASCE GeoFrontiers 2011, Dallas, TX.
- Coe, J. T. and Brandenberg, S. J. (2010). “P-wave Reflection Imaging of Submerged Soil Models Using Ultrasound.” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 136(10), pp. 1358-1367.
- Brandenberg, S. J., Coe, J. T., Nigbor, R. L., and Tanksley, K. (2009). “Different Approaches for Measuring Ground Strains During Pile Driving at a Buried Archeological Site.” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 135(8), pp. 1101-1112.
- Geophysical Imaging & Site Characterization
- Nondestructive Evaluation of Deep Foundations
- Use of Innovative Sensing Technologies in Geotechnical Engineering
- Data Acquisition and Processing
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- Physical & Numerical Modeling
- California Department of Transportation: “Geophysical Methods for Determining the Geotechnical Engineering Properties of Earth Materials.”
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation: “Application of Non-Destructive Testing to Evaluate Unknown Foundations for Pennsylvania Bridges.”