Engineering technologists have the ability to specialize their skillset to work as part of teams in distinct industries. We offer you a variety of electives that will prepare you for careers in these areas.
In the engineering technology major all students have a common first year, so you have the ability to wait until the end of your second completed semester to declare a concentration in one of the following five tracks:
- Mechanical or manufacturing engineering technologists work in teams to develop tools, processes, machines and equipment to make quality products at a reasonable cost. This often involves engineering graphics, engineering materials and mechanics, hydraulics and pneumatics, or electronics and electric power. Manufacturing engineering technologists are usually employed in the functional areas of quality assurance, plant management, materials handling, industrial safety, systems planning, process planning and computer integrated manufacturing.
- Computer engineering technologists work in analog and digital design, microprocessor hardware and software applications, network administration and design, and digital communications. Computer engineering technologists have a strong knowledge of both hardware and software and how the two interact. They may design, install, maintain and operate computer systems, as well as perform programming and systems analysis or be involved in robotics.
- Construction engineering technology involves managing and converting engineering plans and specifications into finished structures. Some construction engineering technologists focus on residential and other building structures, while others work on highway, bridge, or underground construction projects. They apply their knowledge and experiences to many aspects of construction, including labor management, materials specification and estimating, cost estimating, overall planning, and phased construction plans.
- Energy engineering technology (buildings) manage or supervise the convertion of engineering plans associated with energy and specifications into finished structures. They work with architects and construction engineers to specify and install complex energy saving heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems in buildings. In addition, they integrate digital logic and microprocessors into building systems.
- Engineering technologists use the principles and theories of science, engineering and mathematics to solve technical problems in research and development, manufacturing, sales, construction, inspection and maintenance. Their work is more application-oriented than that of scientists and engineers. This track allows students to choose from a wide variety of engineering technology electives, with the approval of a faculty advisor, to create a customized study plan.