Policies and Procedures


If you have been out of school for one term, fall or spring, you must complete an Undergraduate Request to Re-enroll form to be considered for re-enrollment to the College of Engineering. Re-enrollment forms are accepted until August 1st for the fall term, December 1st for the spring term, and April 1st for summer sessions.

  • If you have noted on your re-enrollment form that you wish to transfer to another school/college within Temple University, please contact that school/college and inform them of your intentions. If they approve your re-enrollment, they will contact us with that information, and we will forward your file.
  • If you have attended another school or college, an official (sealed) transcript from that institution must be submitted to the College of Engineering's Office of Undergraduate Studies before you can register for courses. You may turn in your re-enrollment form while awaiting transcripts.
  • If you indicate “Academic” as the reason for your absence, you may be required to attend an interview with the College of Engineering's Office of Undergraduate Studies.
  • If you indicate “Financial” as the reason for your absence, contact Student Financial Services before submitting the re-enrollment form. Students with financial holds will not be able to register until the hold has been resolved.
  • If you indicate “Health Related” as the reason for your absence, you will be required to submit medical clearance from a health professional along with your re-enrollment form.


  • Continuing students in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA in the previous fall or spring term and cumulative GPA) can register via Self-Service Banner (SSB).
  • All students who have Unsatisfactory Academic Performance (a term or cumulative GPA below a 2.0) must meet with an advisor for registration. Re-enrolled students will be sent an email with specific instructions regarding registration.
  • During the registration process, you may encounter circumstances that require special approval and the appropriate approval forms. They also require manual registration by the Office of Undergraduate Studies. These include the following: Closed Section Approval, Credit Level, Credit/No Credit (Audit Only), Overload, Special Authorization, and Time Conflict.
  • Note that no changes will be processed unless the student presents the request in person and waits for processing and a receipt of the transaction.

Click here for instructions on how to register for classes via Self-Service Banner. 

Grade Appeal Procedures

Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 requires that each college or university establish due process for the resolution of academic grievances for the purpose of protecting students from prejudiced and capricious academic evaluation.  All undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Engineering have a right to appeal grades, which they deem unfair and unreasonable. The responsibility to keep the appeal process moving forward is primarily the student's responsibility. Only a final course grade may be appealed and the appeal of a final grade must be of a substantive nature. The student must complete the Student Grievance form or create a written statement which must contain material to support evidence indicating a mistake, fraud, or bad faith on the part of an instructor. 

Examples of student grievance matters include (but are not limited to):

  • Homework score is missing from final grade calculation
  • Test score is miscalculated
  • Failure of instructor to follow grading policy on syllabus

Students will not be allowed to grieve a grade unless it is accompanied by evidence.  

Step 1

To appeal a final grade, the student must make an appointment and meet with the faculty member(s) assigning the grade within the first five days of the next regular semester (fall or spring) unless arrangements can be made to initiate the meeting prior to that time. During this meeting, the student should state the evidence and reasons for the student's perception of an unfair grade assignment.  The instructor will review the matter, explain the grading procedure used and show how the grade in question was determined. The faculty member is to tell the student of his/her decision, either in oral or written form, in three working days. If a student fails to meet at the arranged time, without good cause, the appeal will be determined against the student. 

Step 2

If the grading dispute is not resolved, or the faculty member fails to comply with the responsibilities of Step 1, the student may appeal to the departmental chair. This appeal must be in writing. The appeal must be made within three working days of receipt of the faculty member's decision or faculty member's failure to comply with Step 1.

A meeting with the Chair must then be set up. The Chair may request that the faculty member assigning the grade be present. Failure of the student to appear at this meeting without good cause will terminate the appeal in favor of the existing grade. 

The Chair will attempt to mediate a resolution to the dispute at this level, through either separate or joint meetings with the student and faculty involved. The Chair may or may not make a recommendation; however, it is not within the purview of the Chair to change a grade assigned by a faculty member. The process is to be completed within five working days of receipt of the Step 2 written appeal.

Step 3

If the matter is still unresolved, the student may appeal in writing within three working days of the conclusion of the previous step to the Dean or Dean Designee, who will review the case. In most instances, the appeal procedure will not go beyond this level. Failure of the student to appear without good cause at such meeting will terminate the appeal in favor of the existing grade. 

The Dean or Dean Designee will attempt to mediate a resolution to the grading dispute. It is not within the purview of the Dean/Dean Designee to change a grade assigned by a faculty member. The Dean/ Dean Designee may or may not make a recommendation at this level. If a recommendation is made, it is to be conveyed to all interested parties within two working days of the meeting between Dean/ Dean Designee and student. It may be in either written or oral form. The Dean or Dean Designee may refer the case to a Student Appeals and Grievance Committee for a formal review of the case. 

Step 4

Any appeal beyond Step 3 must be to the Provost, must be in writing, and must be submitted to the Provost within five working days of notification of the Dean's action.

College of Engineering Grievance Form